Tuesday 25 January 2011

NAMM, San Fran, Gamelan...

Warmth on the West Coast! In a welcome break from the snowy, cold, damp weather we've been having in England since November, a trip out to California brought many rewards.

Yes, NAMM show time again. Bill Detamore of Pork Pie Drums invited me once more to share his booth and show my cymbals, plus a special Pork Pirate Gong
DSC06268

You can see more of the show (my work and other folks') here and there's a video of my cymbals from Mikedolbear.com here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGa8VzFK5EQ

I had a great show, met lots of nice folks, made a few sales, lined up some future deals, etc. Alex Acuna, Billy Ward and Elton John's percussionist were among some of the folks to come and try stuff out


After NAMM, I'd booked a few more days on my trip and took the opportunity to drive up to San Francisco, well Oakland to be precise, to visit my pal and endorser, the mighty William Winant.

William has played with the Kronos Quartet, San Francisco Symphony, Mr Bungle, Secret Chiefs Three, Sonic Youth, Danny Elfman, John Cage, the list is long and amazing... He also teaches at Mills College, which is where we met up. Beautiful leafy campus. William showed me their Gamelan collection, and also the Lou Harrison "American Gamelan" plus some other very cool Harrison instrument creations in fantastic tuning regimes.

Later on, we went out for some authentic Soul Food - mighty tasty. Then spent the evening talking about music, percussion instruments, composers and musicians. Willie's story about Frank Zappa upsetting the flautists in the San Francisco Contemporary Music Players was particularly entertaining.


In other news, if you like your updates more bite-sized, you can now also follow me on twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/mattNolanCustom

No comments:

Post a Comment